Healthy Doesn't Mean Boring With These Simple Breakfast Recipes
Healthy doesn't have to mean boring. These breakfast recipes from Tunie's Natural Grocery & Vitamin Market will get every morning off to a good start.
Scrambled Egg Burritos
• 2 large organic eggs, or equivalent egg substitute
• 1 tbsp low-fat milk
• 1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
• 1/8 tsp kosher salt
• Dash of coarsely ground black pepper
• Cooking spray
• 1/2 tsp butter
• 4 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
• 2 (8-inch) flour or corn tortillas, heated
• 4 tbsp chopped seeded tomato, divided
• 2 tbsp bottled chunky salsa, divided
1. Whisk the first five ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Coat a medium non-stick skillet with cooking spray and melt butter over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and stir with a heat-proof rubber spatula to scramble.
3. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese down the center of one tortilla and top with half of the scrambled egg, 2 tablespoons of tomato, and 1 tablespoon of chunky salsa.
4. Roll up burrito-style. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 cup minced onion
• 4 large eggs
• 2 egg whites
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 3 oz sundried tomatoes, packed without oil
• 1/4 cup (2 oz) goat cheese
• 1/4 cup basil chiffonade
1. Sauté vegetables. Set the oven to broil. Use a well-seasoned, 10-inch iron skillet. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat, and add 1 cup of minced onion. Cook until the onion is translucent—about 3 minutes.
2. Add the egg mixture to pan. Whisk together four large eggs and two egg whites, and season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the onions, patting down any lumps with a wooden spoon. Scatter 3 ounces of sundried tomatoes evenly over the pan surface.
3. Add cheese and put in broiler. Distribute 1/4 cup (2 ounces) of goat cheese over the top of the frittata, then place the skillet under the broiler for 2 minutes until the frittata rises slightly. Remove from broiler and top with 1/4 cup basil chiffonade. (Stack basil, then roll the stack, and slice it into feathery, 1/4 inch pieces.)
• 1 cup hemp or coconut milk
• 1/2 cup frozen pineapple or mango chunks
• 1 fresh banana
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ginger
• 1 tsp chia seeds
Place all ingredients in the blender, blend well and serve. For an extra nutritional boost, throw in a handful of spinach.
Blackberry Green Smoothie
• 1 cup blackberries (frozen or fresh)
• 1 (8 oz) container plain yogurt
• 3/4 cup 2 percent organic reduced-fat milk; or almond, rice or coconut milk
• Stevia to taste
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1⁄2 cup of spinach
Blend all ingredients, and serve.