A Drink With 'Below Deck' Captain Lee Rosbach
WHO: Reality TV personality and co-star of the hit Bravo series “Below Deck,” Captain Lee Rosbach
WHAT: The Hachi cocktail; the Sashimi Omakase with the chef’s choice of the day’s freshest sashimi; the Wagyu Houbayaki with the Japanese wagyu on a Japanese charcoal grill; and the Chocolate Hazelnut Bar with raspberry gel and dark chocolate ganache.
WHERE: Kuro at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, 1 Seminole Way, Hollywood / 954.327.7625 / seminolehardrockhollywood.com
1) The first time I realized that people were really watching “Below Deck” was when: the wife and I were out to dinner. I started to catch people looking at me, but then they would quickly look away. Then they started to stare a little longer. People began to come over to our table to ask for pictures with me. There was a young girl bussing tables, she was maybe 16 years old. She asked me for a picture. An hour later or so she came back to the table with a pen and paper and asked, “Would you please write your name down for me so I can find out who you are?”
2) The celebrities I was most surprised to discover were big fans of the show are: Chrissy Teigen, Donnie Wahlberg and Dale Earnhardt Jr. Dale and I were on “Watch What Happens Live” with Andy Cohen together, and both Donnie and Chrissy just popped up on my Twitter feed one day claiming to be fans of the show. Chrissy’s so much fun on Twitter.
3) A celebrity I get mistaken for is: usually a young Burt Reynolds or Sean Connery. I used to get Kenny Rogers a lot too, you know. Walking through the airport will never be the same for me again.
4) Something that most fans would never realize about the making of “Below Deck” is: there’s an additional 60 people behind the scenes who are making it all happen. It’s a very complex process. This show is actually real. There’s no script. The cameras start rolling as soon as the first toes touch the floor in the morning, and they keep rolling until the very last person goes to bed at night.
5) Being named the “Official Captain” of the famed Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade was: a fabulous honor and I couldn’t have been more pleased. Look at some of the past Winterfest grand marshals: from the president of the United States, to Kelly Ripa, to Pitbull. For an ordinary guy like me to be included, that’s quite a treat.
6) The Winterfest Boat Parade moment I’ll never forget is: when Winterfest President and CEO Lisa Scott-Founds adorned my shoulders with a big white cape while I was on stage. Little did I know it was inscribed “Stud Of The Sea” in giant letters. It wasn’t until I turned around on stage that I learned from the laughter what it said. That’s what friends do to friends, I guess. That was Bravo’s nickname for me, and somehow it stuck.
A Michigan native, Lee Rosbach arrived to Florida in 1989 following a successful restaurant career in Turks and Caicos. Rosbach admits that he “caught the boating bug” later on in life than other yachting professionals. It was by chance that he would become a late replacement as captain on “Below Deck,” premiering on Bravo in 2013. The hit series is currently in its fifth season. Rosbach recently signed a publishing deal with Simon & Schuster for a book to be released in 2018. He will be celebrating his fourth Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade this December and his third as the famed event’s “Official Captain.” A recreational golfer who enjoys big game fishing, diving and “most anything in the water”,
Captain Lee and his wife, Mary Ann, currently reside in Fort Lauderdale.
About The Cocktail:
Hachi (“Eight” in Japanese)
.25 ounces Mirin
.75 ounces fresh lemon juice
.75 ounces black pepper syrup
2 ounces mushroom-infused
Buffalo Trace Bourbon
Using a jigger, pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker in the following order: fresh lemon juice, mirin, black pepper syrup and mushroom-infused bourbon; add ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Fine strain the shaker mixture with a mini strainer over fresh ice. Garnish with a lemon twist and dried shiitake mushrooms, and enjoy!