Broward And Palm Beach Counties Both Just Banned Panhandling
June 24, 2015 — Both Broward and Palm Beach counties approved bans on panhandling Tuesday.
In Broward, commissioners unanimously voted to ban vendors and solicitors from 20 of Broward’s busiest intersections.
The ban prohibits begging for money, selling items like flowers and newspapers, and even soliciting for charitable donations. In fact, the only hand-to-hand exchanges that can still occur on the street would involve a police officer issuing a traffic citation to a driver.
The Broward ordinance states that the county’s aim is to “protect the personal safety … of people using Broward County roadways, both pedestrians and motorists alike.”
Meanwhile, solicitors have said they think the county is targeting the homeless community.
"I believe they are trying to get the homeless population off the streets," Gary Richardson, who begs for money at State Road 84 and Nob Hill Road, told Local 10.
The Palm Beach County Commission voted 5-1 to ban panhandling on county roads earlier in the day.
"Both for tourists and for residents, it's an uncomfortable situation to be solicited," Palm Beach County Commissioner Hal Valeche told the Sun Sentinel.
The one commissioner opposed, Melissa McKinlay, said she worried about penalizing people who have nothing, according to the Palm Beach Post.
Violators could face up to $500 in fines or 60 days of jail time. However, the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office said officers plan to give warnings before issuing citations or making arrests.
The restricted intersections in unincorporated Broward County are as follows:
- State Road 84 and University Drive
- State Road 84 and Flamingo Road
- State Road 84 and Pine Island Road
- Sunrise Boulevard and NW 31st Avenue
- Sunrise Boulevard and NW 27th Avenue
- Sunrise Boulevard and NW 24th Avenue
- State Road 7 and SW 20th Street
- State Road 84 and Davie Road
- State Road 84 and 136th Avenue
- Broward Boulevard and SW 27th Avenue
- State Road 7 and Davie Boulevard
- Broward Boulevard and NW 31st Avenue
- State Road 84 and Nob Hill Road
- Federal Highway (U.S. 1) and Griffin Road
- Davie Boulevard/Davie Boulevard Extension and Peters Road
- Peters Road and NW 46th Avenue
- Coconut Creek Parkway/Hammondville Road and NW 31st Avenue
- State Road 84 and Hiatus Road
- NW 31st Avenue and NW 6th Street
- NW 27th Avenue and NW 6th Street